Residential Railings in Cedar Rapids, IA
American Fence Company presents customers with a vast selection when it comes to adornments on their residential railings — scrolls, medallions, globes, scepters, spears, etc. There’s a good reason why railing shoppers turn to us when looking to spiff up their residence in Cedar Rapids, IA.
Custom Made Railings
Being the number one fence contractor in Cedar Rapids, IA, we take pride in that we offer a broad selection of fabrication services. Rather than just offer run of the mill, standard-issue residential railings, we have the equipment and expertise necessary to produce one-of-a-kind railings to help distinguish your home.
Decorative hand railings to complement your resident in Cedar Rapids.
Residential Railings in Cedar Rapids, IA Gallery
Overview in Residential Railings in Cedar Rapids, IA
Decorative adornments are an essential component when it comes to assembling residential railings that will complement the exterior of your home. For that reason, American Fence Company of Cedar Rapids offers a variety of spears, rosettes, medallions, scrolls, and scepters to choose from in making your railings stand out from the crowd. When it comes to custom railings, our team of expert designers, fabricators, and installers will see to it that everything it put together according to your needs.
Residential Railings in Cedar Rapids, IA FAQ
When do I need railings in Cedar Rapids, IA?
Always start by checking local authorities and codes for requirements on residential railings. In mosts cases, railings are mandatory for any surface — be it a patio, a staircase, a deck — with a drop off equaling or exceeding thirty inches.
What are the requirements for railings in Cedar Rapids, IA?
As with the earlier question, always start off by checking local codes and authority first. Generally speaking, however:
- Most codes require a height of 36” for residential properties and 42” for commercial properties or multi-family dwellings.
- In the case of both commercial and multi-family residences, you are limited to a maximum opening of 4″ anywhere throughout the railing system.
- Check codes governing the load barring capacity, fail point, of railings. In most cases, railings must not deflect more than an inch when force equating two hundred pounds is applied vertically and horizontally but not consecutively. This is an issue when using vinyl and cable rail materials.
To make the process easier, we recommend working with a fence contractor in Cedar Rapids that has extensive experience constructing and installing residential railings. In addition to following the necessary codes, they also need to be durable, build to last.
What about stair railing requirements in Cedar Rapids, IA?
- Typically, grab rails are approximately 34” above the nose of the stair tread. Grab rails must be specific in location, profile, and size, profile.
- Grab rails should be no larger than two inches in diameter or similar shape and installed with few obstructions. The lack of obstructions is key, as users need to be able to safely run their hands up and down the railing.
- Stairs 36” or less in width require one grab rail. Wider stairs will require more than one grab rail.
- In most cases, commercial railings require a one-foot horizontal run of railing at the top and bottom of the stairs to allow the user to grab the railing before stepping up or off.
- Handicap railings will require a one foot horizontal and vertical return at each end with a second lower railing allowing people in wheel chairs to reach the railing.
Because there are a number of requirements and codes dictating the necessary length of residential railings, we recommend working with a fence contractor in Cedar Rapids with an extensive track record building and installing railings.
Can you custom build my residential railing in Cedar Rapids, IA?
When it comes to railings in Cedar Rapids, IA, there is no better contractor than American Fence Company. We fabricate thousands of different, unique railings for clients across the nation, and our fabricators can assemble any design you want.
Our process for designing, fabricating, and installing railings is simple:
- We can provide catalogs and website photos full of residential railings designs for you to review. We also recommend that you search the web as railing fabricators and home builders are promoting more and more of their products on-line. Check out King Architectural Metals’ website for design assistance tools and views.
- Our veteran computer aided design (CAD) programmers will provide a CAD drawing of your railing before it is built. This CAD will provide important details, including material selection, all necessary dimensions, even a three-dimensional view. Always ask to see a CAD view of your railing before allowing any fabricator to build your railing.
- After you have selected a design, we will field review your application. All custom railings must be field verified by a professional fabricator. Never purchase a railing locally or online without having the fabricator review your installation site.
- With five certified welders, we will build your residential railing. All custom metals products should be fabricated in accordance with AWS D1.1. AWS is the acronym for the American Welding Society. This group is the governing agency that sets the standards for steel fabrications. D1.1 is the written standard for welding steel materials. D1.2 is the standard for welding aluminum materials. Request that your fabricator build your railing to these standards.
- Hundreds of color samples and paint applications. There are as many types of paint applications as there are colors. The most popular and widely used are the following:
- HVLP. High volume low pressure paint process is the most popular application. This process has the benefit of getting paint into tight corners and angles. It is a wet paint application that should include a two coat application of a quality primer and top coat.
- Electro-Static, a wet paint application that charges the paint particles and applies an opposite charge to the railing. When the paint is applied, it is immediately attracted to the metal surface, providing a very consistent coating with no overspray. This process should be applied in conjunction with the HVLP system as electro-static paint is difficult to get into tight corners and angles.
- Powder Coating. This coating provides a plastic like candy apple coating to metal products. It is powder that is applied to the fence and then melted in an oven, creating a baked-on tough coating.
- Galvanizing leaves your fence with a shiny silver coating, seals the fence from rust and corrosion with a zinc-rich finish. Though this is a great application to prevent rust; unfortunately, most paint applications do not adhere to the shiny galvanized finish unless first brush blasted.
Because of our 50+ years of experience, American Fence Company can be counted on to install residential railings in Cedar Rapids, IA.